Tips for Selling a House
- Fresh paint is pretty much the only thing that pays for itself. Fresh paint works wonders with buyers.
- Have all carpets cleaned. To a buyer, dirty carpet looks like a $15,000 fix/discount.
- Leave the heat on in the winter and the A/C on in the warm weather. A buyer needs to feel comfortable in the house.
- Remove anything you don’t want to sell with the house.
- If your house is a rental, do not allow the rental company to let renters in earlier. With viewing's limited to check-in day, you don’t want to miss any opportunities.
- Save $500 to $1,000 just by removing any wood that touches the ground, and removing any ground (dirt/sand) that touches wood. Termites really like the OBX, so much so, that landscape timbers or scrap wood you have lying on the ground probably already has termites and will cost you a house treatment. The wooden forms used in laying concrete driveways are sometimes still attached to your concrete and they always have termites in them. And if sand has piled up against a part of your house it will quickly become invaded with termites.
- Have someone fix everything that needs to be fixed. It is expensive to pay a buyer to fix these things. For every $1,000 in repairs a buyer sees when looking at your house, they expect a $5,000 discount.
Choosing an Agent
- Print Advertising - Your property will receive unprecedented continuous exposure every month it is listed for sale. Your ad will appear every month in the Homes and Land magazine, instead of the typical ad rotation.
- Virtual Floor Plan - Each residence is measured room by room for a concise virtual floor plan with lots of inter grated pictures of the property for a true Virtual Tour and not just a slide show of pictures.
- Maximum Internet Exposure - Your property will be exposed to millions of people on 30 national real estate websites and with 8 news organizations including ABC, FOX, New York Post, Washington Post, New York Times and Cox Media.
- Professional Photography - Don't let your house languish on the market because of poor quality pictures. Too many listing agents treat photos like it was still the last century. Pictures sell real estate!
- Enhanced Listings - We go the extra mile and pay to have your listing Enhanced on Realtor.com
- Property Website - your own website.
- Lock Boxes - Electronic lock boxes provide 21st century access.
- MLS - Your property information will be entered into the Multiple Listing Service, including color photographs of the interior and exterior of the house, if applicable.
- Open Houses - If the first Open House has a good turn out we will follow up with more.
- Reverse Offer - Backwards real estate.
- As Is - Is this the best way to get what you want?
Not Ready Just Yet? Home Selling Articles